Non-fiction work in progress: residential writing course
11,Mon May 2020
Lumb Bank , Hebden Bridge
Memoir, travel, self-help. Whatever you’re writing, whatever your genre, there’s usually a point where you feel stuck, uncertain or unfocused.
Join us for this week to reboot. Together, we’ll explore what you’re really writing about and how best to shape your material. And if your project is at the early concept stage, the same applies!
As you bring it to life, you’ll gain new confidence and focus.
For the fifth year in a row, I’m teaching writers of non-fiction at one of the residential centres run by Arvon – this one is in Yorkshire, at the former home of the late poet laureate Ted Hughes.
I’m running the course with fellow author and journalist Elise Valmorbida, and very much looking forward to it.
Please come, and help yourself to two multidisciplinary experts.
NOTE: to book a place, you must go to the Arvon website, here:
(from a previous course, with fellow-tutor Mel McGrath)
- ‘Loved it all. It gave me ‘permission’ to explore methods of writing – and confidence to have a go on my own where no confidence before existed.’
- ‘Offered structure and confidence.’
- ‘Encouraged me to experiment with different styles, to give more detail and focus on individual scenes and to look for opportunities to inject dramatic irony.’
- ‘I enjoyed getting more structural advice. Feedback on my writing was useful and freeing.’
- ‘I feel I will be taking away a fund of very useful skills and material to move my writing forward. Couldn’t be more pleased. The tutors were a perfect balance.’
- ‘Exceptional tutors. Mel offered direct, specific advice for the starting point; JP offered helpful feedback for revising it; by suggesting our group pair up to “self-tutor” using what we’d learned during the week, on Friday afternoon, I was able to really hone the piece to read to the group. Excellent facilitation, on target for a group of generally skilful writers.’
How do I book a place?
Please look at the Arvon website for details: https://www.arvon.org/writing-courses/courses-retreats/